Monday, May 12, 2008

Lost in translation

Happened to come across this article at Kotaku while I was taking a break from GTA IV. The author of the post, Ashcraft, was obviously displeased with Kojima's latest comments about the media distorting his words during interviews, and some of the examples Kojima mentioned seemed to be directed at Kotaku.

First I have to admit that I like Kojima, for his personality and also the fact that without him there will be no MGS. That said, I do not think I am biased when I say that Ashcraft's article has exactly illustrated Kojima's point. First, look at the title of the post:
"Americans Brag, PS3 No Letdown, Kotaku is Wrong". Hmm, sounds pretty much like a sensationalized heading, isn't it? Next, the translation of the interview he has based his source on, came from a user of the Playstation board. Hmm, ever consider that what Kojima had said was not accurately translated in the first place? After all, the translator himself already stated clearly that the translation of the interview was not a complete one. So, Mr. Ashcraft, I ask you, did you even consider that? Did you make sure that that is exactly what Kojima had intended to say before posting it in Kotaku? At least you could have put a disclaimer together with your post stating that the translation may not be 100% accurate, right?

No comments: