Saturday, May 10, 2008

Grand Theft Auto IV: Afterthoughts

I shan't call this a review, since I am not even close to finishing the main story of GTA IV. However, I feel I have played enough to give a decent impression of the game, how it stands as compared to the previous GTAs.

First, I've got to state that I was playing the game on a SD TV (I need to make more money before I can get a HD TV, damn it!), but I'm still very impressed with what I saw. The graphics of GTA IV are obviously a notch above the previous installations. The big difference is that GTA 3, VC and SA had all sported cartoony graphics, whereas in GTA IV, the producers are clearly going for a more realistic look. Perhaps it's because of the new direction (realism) the game is heading, even the missions are less "insane" as compared to the past games. So far, I've yet to encounter any zany missions such as bombing/chasing stuffs with RC choppers, and the mission NPCs are more believable. Even the driving mechanic was tweaked to make it feel more realistic, as it is now more difficult to maneuver corners at high speeds.

Next up, on the main character, Niko Bellic. I'd say Niko is pretty likeable person, and personally I rank him second, just below Tommy Vercetti, whom I still feel is the best protagonist. I find myself agreeing with most of the reviewers when they said they are more emotionally attached to Niko, as he forced under circumstances to commit acts he is reluctant to do. However, there are some inconsistencies, as people who play the game will notice the fact that during some missions Niko seem more than willing to do dirty work for the sake of money. That said, all in all, Niko can be considered to be a "good" guy and I'm sure most GTA fans will not be disappointed as him being the main character of the game.

Finally, let me touch on the plot abit. I will try not to reveal too much spoilers, but man, is the plot good. Remember the last mission of SA when CJ chased Tenpenny down and indirectly killed him? The satisfaction you get when seeing that dickhead die? Well, I experienced satisfaction arguably of equal intensity as that as early as the first 5 hours into GTA IV. That is how good the plot is. It may be a tad similar to those typical Hollywood shows, but who cares so long the Hollywood shows that it is similar to are those of the AAA quality.

I shall give more insight to the game once I proceed further into the storyline and the gameplay. Till then, cya.

There are many parodies of real life in the game
Photobucket

I just love the subtle humor the producers put into the game
Photobucket

What is GTA without the flashy cool cars?
Photobucket

No comments: