Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, Chris Remo has left the building

It's been some time since I last visited the Shacknews chat thread, partly due to schoolwork and partly due to the festive holidays. And imagine my surprise when I found out Chris Remo, who was until recently the EIC of Shacknews has stepped down and left the Shack.

Although I had not visited the chat thread, I still frequented Shacknews, and I can safely say there was no news on the front page regarding his departure. I had only noticed something wasn't usual when some of the posts of the Shackers seemed to have suggested Chris was fired/had left. After a brief search, I managed to locate the thread by Steve Gibson announcing Chris' depature. At the time of announcement, some of the Shackers had still thought Steve was joking. Alas, the news was real; the Shack Team url no longer listed Chris as part of the editorial staff.

It truly is saddening to see Chris leaving Shacknews, for I really enjoyed both his articles and his hosting of Shackcast, Shacknews' official podcast. I can't seem to find any indication of Chris' intention to leave the team in the recent weeks; the latest Shackcast episode seemed pretty usual, with everyone cracking jokes and stuffs. Coupled with the timing of the recent scandal, some Shackers suspected Chris was actually gerstmann'd, however, I am 100% confident in Shacknews' integrity and firmly believe this isn't the reason why Chris had left, or was fired. No doubt something seems fishy given the way Chris had left Shacknews, but I am inclined to believe even if Chris was forced to leave, it's due to other reasons, perhaps clashes with the rest of the Shack Team, and not because of advertisers' pressure or such. And judging from the lack of news of Chris' departure in other major gaming news site, I am confident that it is just another normal stepping down.

Anyway, just wanna wish Chris the best of luck. Thanks for your contribution to Shacknews, and I hope you still drop by the chat thread often to make a post or two. You may have left the Shack Team, but I'm sure everyone will still welcome you with open arms.

No comments: